Modern public safety radio systems are increasingly serving multiple agencies or stakeholders because interoperability is often a major driver and justification of these systems. As such the question of how such systems will be governed is a critical question that must be answered, and answered early in the process of initiating the system.
Typical of the Governance issues that must be addressed are:
- How will initial capital costs be shared amongst users?
- How will ongoing operating costs be shared?
- Who can operate on the system?
- What is the process for adding new user groups to the system?
- What is the decision making process of the the governance entity?
- What reporting from system managers will be expected?