Besides the radio system itself there is a lot of infrastructure needed to support it. This includes everything that will be found at a radio site including:
- shelter, building, equipment rooms
- radio tower
- radio site security (fencing, alarms, access control, surveillance etc.)
- electrical power (normal and emergency back-up)
- building heating and cooling systems
- SCADA system for monitoring and controlling numerous aspects of the site.
- telecommunications (telephone of network connections if required)
- site parking, road access
Sometimes a radio site may be located in an urban highrise building, with a roof-mounted antenna, but still all of these infrastructure components need to be given serious consideration.